|“||People say a magic lantern passes before their eyes when they are on the verge of death, but that's just Reapers like lil' ole me playing back that human's 'memories.'||”|
A Cinematic Record (走馬灯劇場, Shinematikku rekōdo) is a recollection of an individual's memories, depicted like a brief movie.
A Cinematic Record can be described as a document of an individual's life memories. The concept of a human is broken into two: a flesh body and a soul. When combined, the individual can exist among the living, and thus initiates their Cinematic Record. When the flesh body withers, and the Grim Reapers collect their souls, the record ends there, resulting in the living becoming the dead. The "end mark" of the Cinematic Record arrives along with every death.
It is possible for a Cinematic Record to be tampered with in such a way that more memories are added to it, where they should have already stopped once the person died. In that case, moving corpses are created, retaining the memories and bodies of their previous lives, yet they remain soulless.
In order to review an individual's life, a Grim Reaper views a person's Cinematic Record by cutting the said person with their Death Scythe. The contents of the Cinematic Record are used to determine if the person should be allowed to pass away or to continue to live. The Grim Reapers seem to make this decision by putting a stamp that says "complete" on the dying individual's file.
- Sebastian Michaelis, a demon, calls the use of the Cinematic Record "of poor taste" and the worst sort of spying activity.
- When not in use, Cinematic Records are stored in the form of books in the Grim Reaper Library. These books can be played like an old movie.
- Grim Reapers possess a unique and powerful item called the Death Bookmark, that when placed into the book, is able to stop the events of someone's Cinematic Record.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 10, page 11
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 60, page 9
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 60, page 10
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 60, pages 11-14
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 35, page 13
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 60, page 13
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 10, pages 8-9
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 61, page 23
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji anime; Episode 17
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji anime; Episode 18