Viscount Aleister Chamber (アレイスト・チェンバー, Areisuto Chienbā), often referred to by his formal title, Viscount of Druitt, is a nobleman well-known for his fine tastes and parties held during the social season.
Aleister is an extremely handsome man, as commented by many nobles, with lavender eyes and platinum blond hair that reportedly is "like spun gold."
Aleister regularly dresses in elegant clothing which consists of a white suit, a pocket square, and an ascot tie, along with accessories such a brooch and white gloves. According to Ciel Phantomhive, Aleister bears a resemblance to his nephew.
Aleister is a very pompous and melodramatic man who tends to compare things to women and girls; for example, he often called Ciel Phantomhive, when he was disguised as a girl, a "robin." Furthermore, he is an avid fan of arts and food.
Additionally, Aleister has a strong interest in black magic, and used to hold underground auctions at which he sold women as pets, for body parts, or even as individuals to be used in ritual sacrificing. However, he did not necessarily partake in these morbid activities; he simply captured the victims and facilitated the transactions. When he was caught engaging in these auctions, he was able to escape a jail sentence through bribery.
Aleister graduated from Weston College, the same school his nephew Edgar Redmond formerly attended before his expulsion. At one point during his life, Aleister attained a doctor's license, though he never worked at a hospital or otherwise had a career associated with health care.
Red Butler Arc
One night during the social season, Aleister hosts a party, which a number of nobles attend. Ciel, deliberately dressed as a young lady, dances with Sebastian Michaelis and attracts his attention. He approaches and compliments Ciel, calling him a "robin." He makes several seduction attempts, oblivious to Ciel's discomfort.
In an underground auction, Aleister addresses the audience, announcing that Ciel, who is tied and blindfolded, is the valuable item they have been anticipating. He offers a range of possibilities: Ciel can be kept in the cage, be played with, used in a ceremony, or parts of him could be sold according to what the customer prefers. He begins the bid at one-thousand, but then, the light in the room mysteriously vanishes. Aleister loses consciousness, and the police arrive shortly thereafter. He is assumed to be put behind bars.
Indian Butler Arc
Aleister is one of the judges at the curry fair, along with Chef Higham and Mr. Carter. Ciel deduces that Aleister was able to bribe his way out of being arrested by the Scotland Yard. As the chefs began cooking, Aleister theatrically favors Agni's usage of royal blue lobster, comparing it to a beautiful and elegant lady. Like the other judges, he dismisses the entrants who used curry powder.
Initially, Aleister and the judges are skeptical of Sebastian's curry doughnut, but when he cuts it open, he is astonished to discover that the curry is inside. Once he tastes it, he is captivated; he praises the curry doughnut as revolutionary, and compares it to a cute, young girl, reminiscent of Ciel as a girl.
Luxury Liner Arc
On April 17, 1889, Aleister boards the Campania. Three days later, he attends an Aurora Society meeting and performs a modified version of the Phoenix pose. Afterward, he asks if the disguised Sebastian Michaelis and Ciel Phantomhive are beginners. When Sebastian says that they heard about the organization in a newspaper article, Aleister comments on Madam Samuel's untrustworthiness, thinking that she has exposed their secret. He, then, spots and recognizes Ciel, who hastily claims that it is their first meeting. Aleister is convinced that Ciel is speaking the truth, stating that he would not forget a beautiful boy like Ciel if they had met before. Noticing Ciel's bandaged eye, he assures him that he will have Rian Stoker heal it for him, as he is eager to stare into both of his eyes, but adds that he is fine the way he is, as well.
When the meeting commences, Aleister points out the founder, Rian, to Ciel and Sebastian. Rian performs the Phoenix pose and then explains that "Absolute Salvation," the medicine the Aurora Society devised, is capable of reviving the dead. He tests it on the corpse of Margaret Connor, whose parents are present. Aleister is amazed when Margaret begins to rise. However, she, then, kills her mother and pursues the other attendees of the meeting, causing most of them, including Aleister, to flee.
Sometime later, Aleister steals the device that can reportedly render the Absolute Salvation ineffective from Rian's room. Afterward, he encounters Ciel and Sebastian in the first-class passenger hallway, while having several persons, Undertaker included, carry the device for him. When Ciel and Sebastian acknowledge him, he asks them how they know him, but then dismisses the issue, declaring that they must know him because he is renowned in society as the incarnation of beauty. Sebastian questions why Aleister is still on the Bizarre Doll-infested ship, and he reveals that there is something he needs to protect, even if he must risk his life on the sinking ship. He adds that the Bizarre Dolls are mere puppets to him, but then stops himself, saying that he has spoken too much. Sebastian quickly recites the Aurora Society's greeting, and they all join in. Aleister, then, regards them as comrades and notes that he does remember their faces somewhere. When Ciel correctly deduces that the device can subdue the Bizarre Dolls, Aleister, initially shocked, urges them to follow him, for he will show them the coming of a new Aurora Society.
At the first-class passenger lounge, Aleister has his men set down the device; he requests that they be careful, averring that the device is worth more than their lives. Aleister tells Ciel and Sebastian that he will not activate the device yet since the "cast" is incomplete. Just then, Rian appears, along with Grelle Sutcliff and Ronald Knox, and yells at Aleister for stealing the device. Aleister admits that he was waiting for Rian and announces that the empire Rian built will collapse and be replaced by Aleister's, which will be called the Aurora Empire. When he overhears Grelle's intention to kill him, Aleister threatens to destroy the device by tilting his glass of wine over it, prompting Ronald to stop Grelle from attacking. He, then, laughs, emboldened by his "power" to win against all of them with just one glass of wine.
Subsequently, dozens of Bizarre Dolls break into the room, and Ciel asks Aleister to activate it. He says he will only do so if Ciel calls him "Caesar" and refers to Ciel as a "cock robin." The others begin fighting the Bizarre Dolls, and he compares the battle to Nero watching fights in the Colosseum from above while enjoying his wine. Grelle demands that Aleister activates it, and he orders them to pledge their loyalty to him by reciting his version of the Aurora Society's greeting and assume his adapted form of the Phoenix pose, which they do.
Pleased, Aleister presses a button on the device, and soon discovers that it does not work for the Bizarre Dolls continue wreaking havoc, to his and the others' confusion. He tells Rian that the device he made is not working. Ciel is shocked to learn that it was not Aleister who built it, and Aleister confesses that he cannot build something like the device and that he had only decided to borrow it.
Exasperated, Grelle lunges at Aleister, intending to kill him. Although Undertaker blocks Grelle in time, with the reason that Aleister is too amusing for him to let him die, Aleister is too shaken up by Grelle's sudden attack and faints.
Public School Arc
Aleister attends the pre-festivities of Weston College's annual cricket tournament. There, he scolds his nephew, Edgar Redmond, for being rude to one of Lawrence Bluewer's sisters, and then comments about how nostalgic it is to be at his alma mater. He is heartbroken when Blue House wins the cricket tournament, but cheerfully participates in the after-party, where he charms a couple of ladies.
- (While hosting an auction) "Derive your enjoyment from appreciating her as you would a fine work of art... or keep and treasure her as you would a pet. She would prove a glittering jewel for any ritual as well, would you not agree? Or according to demand, you may wish to sell her off in pieces."
- (Referring to Agni's curry) "The beautiful woman I met at the ball... You, who possess a most noble beauty, are stood there with seven gems adorning your sublime form. A gold brooch in the shape of a dove... A bracelet of sapphires and pearls... A choker of garnet... A cameo medallion. And a ring of diamonds and emerald for your finger. All of them enhance your loveliness. You have stolen my heart."
- (Referring to Sebastian Michaelis's curry) "The sweet girl I met at an evening soiree. By day, you chirp childishly, a mischievous little songbird. But by night, your true self peeks out... The seductive smile beneath the mask, where a grown woman stands. I would like to put my arms around you!!"
- It is possible that Aleister Chamber was named after Aleister Crowley, a Victorian era nobleman with a passion for the occult and a lack of sense when it came to manage his money that ultimately led to his doom.
- He also may have been named after Montague Druitt, one of the many people suspected to have been Jack the Ripper.
Out of Universe
- According to the official Kuroshitsuji character popularity poll, Aleister is the sixteenth most popular character in the series, with 98 votes.
- The performance of his voice actor Tatsuhisa Suzuki influenced Aleister's portrayal in the manga and was the reason why he became a recurring character.
- When making the manga, one of Yana Toboso's assistants accidentally called Aleister koshaku, which means "insolent," instead of shishaku, which means "viscount." This became a recurring joke for Toboso.
- In early editions of Volume 2, his name was misspelled as "Aleistor."
- Despite having a medical license, in the second season of the anime, large quantities of blood make Aleister faint.
- Exclusively in the second season of the anime, Aleister is related to the Trancy family; his uncles are Former Head Trancy and Arnold Trancy, his aunt is Countess Trancy, and his cousin is Alois Trancy.
- Aleister is portrayed by Ray Fujita in the first run of The Most Beautiful DEATH in the World and by Yoshihide Sasaki in its second run, Lycoris that Blazes the Earth, and Tango on the Campania.
- Sasaki's portrayal of Aleister was influenced by Suzuki's performance in the anime.
- Nayuta Fukuzaki, the actor who plays Ciel in Lycoris that Blazes the Earth, admires Sasaki and wants to play Aleister one day.
|Alexis Leon Midford • Francis Midford|
|Ciel Phantomhive • Charles Grey • Cloudia Phantomhive • Rachel Phantomhive • Vincent Phantomhive|
|Angelina Dalles • Burnett • Chris Heathfield • Diedrich • Kelvin|
|"Ciel Phantomhive" • Edward Midford • Elizabeth Midford|
|Charles Phipps • Lau • Undertaker|